#4: Po-po-po-polarization!

Say it with me: polarization is REAL. Okay, now that that is out of the way, let's get started. Yes polarization exists. Yes, it is a bad thing...BUT polarization may also be a good thing. What??

As we saw in this week's online lecture and as evidenced by Jacobs and Townsley, shows like O'Reilly Factor and Hardball are quintessential examples of why polarization is horrible. What good can come out of being cut off, attacked and/or completely dismissed while you're trying to have a thoughtful conversation? What is the point? In situations such as these, nothing is being accomplished. As a viewer, I don't feel I'm gleaning anything useful; instead, I feel like my brain is on fire. If anything, I'm horrifyingly uncomfortable or incredibly annoyed, reactions that cause me to tune out, both physically and mentally. Obviously, this isn't helping to raise political engagement.

However, polarization could also be not so bad. Maybe it is within these gruesomely polarized shows where nuggets of goodness lie. Due to the extreme polarized we experience on these newer formats, we are seeing how not to interact with one another. Seeing the 'ick' factor of political shows encourages me to participate in more productive conversation with people who have different opinions. Is it easy? Hell no. Is it better for everyone if we hear each other out, ask thoughtful questions and maybe, just maybe, see things from different vantage points? Absolutely. Perhaps this would in fact increase political engagement (at least, more meaningful engagement). 

Are the shows mentioned in our prompt contributing to political polarization and a breakdown of dialogue and respect for difference of opinion? Some do and some don't. I don't religiously watch political shows, so I cannot say for sure, but from certain snippets that I have tuned into, I can tell that particular shows contribute to polarization in an extreme way and others do not. 

Comments

  1. Elaina, you might be the first person ever to suggest that shows like Hardball teach lessons in debate etiquette via negative example. It would be interesting to empirically test how many other people react the same way to these shows. My fear is that most people who watch these shows end up imitating the rhetorical style of the guests and the host. And that is not a good thing. At least, I don't believe it is. Even though, there might be other reasons to defend these shows.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Op-Ed: Your OCD is Showing

A little somethin' somethin'

Prompt: Nobody to Somebody