Social Media, Activism, Opinions, oh my!

Last week, we spent some time talking about social media, social movements/activism, and how the two work and don't work in conjunction. Is it a good tool? Is it not? Here's my take.

It terms of disseminating information, I think social media is awesome. It's quick, timely (for the most part), editable/updatable (again, for the most part) and its circulation has a wide birth. Personally, I find that I get my information quickest online, obviously paying close attention to who I'm getting my info from and when the info was published. Mediums such as print newspapers and television, while still good sources, aren't as easily accessible or editable due to time-slots, circulation schedules and the fact that you can't re-air or re-print if information is incorrect.

Now, it terms of organizing, I think social media has actually cultivated laziness in activists. Everyone likes executing a task when it is easy to do so. What's easier—retweeting your solidarity or physically leaving home to march in a protest? The answer is crystal clear. I think that the social movements of the past were so powerful because social media didn't exist. You couldn't be lazy and or passive in social movements...you truly had to BE there, entrenched in the cause.

TLDR: Social media makes people lazy and activists aren't immune. Good for info, bad for active participation.

After reading Douglas' The Rise of Enlightened Sexism, I can't help but wonder how social media would have impacted the "girl power" movement of the 1990s. Would the Spice Girls be using the hashtag '#GirlPower' to spark a conversation between feminists all over the world? If so, would they still show up to protests and rallies? How would feminist publications and zines have utilized social media? Just some food for thought 😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Op-Ed: Your OCD is Showing

A little somethin' somethin'

Prompt: Nobody to Somebody