Prompt: Nobody to Somebody

Marc Lamont Hill's Nobody is required reading for everyone, its contents rich and absolutely important. The entire book's purpose aptly instills a strong mixture of fear, disgust and utter disbelief–and for good reason.

It goes without saying that every single black life lost has and always will mean something, and they all should still be here. Yes, it may seem strange that Hill is so optimistic in the end given the material he is writing about, but I can't help but take on an optimistic outlook too. Because the brutalization and systematic targeting of people of color has been so prevalent in America's history, it will take time. BUT just because the change is not immediate, it doesn't mean it can't start right now at this very second. It doesn't mean we can't enact change, even on a small scale.

It's on us as citizens of this country to speak up and educate those who really just don't get it. I've reflected on this, before this reading and now, and I believe that there are two main groups that really need to step up for their fellow humans: the white population and law enforcement.

A lot of white Americans are too scared to raise their voices, to stand up for justice and equality for fear of offending or making matters worse–as someone who constantly worries about saying the wrong thing, I feel the sentiment. Or worse, there are people who are just uneducated assholes (pardon my French) or downright blatant racists. We should be beyond making excuses to not fight for people of color. We can't live like that anymore with the current state of our nation. It's irresponsible to stand in silence, because silence won't end the violence and taking sides and placing blame on certain groups doesn't improve ANYTHING. It's our responsibility now, as white Americans, to educate ourselves and BE THERE, whether in person or online. Intervene safely, speak out against those doing harm, participate in peaceful protests alongside POC, not as white saviors, but as respectful allies. As an optimist, I want to whole heartedly believe that these small acts can build up and amount to something positive.

Then there is law enforcement. Clearly, there is a flaw in their practices. I know, I know, "not all cops are bad." I'm not saying that they are. Even so, those in law enforcement desperately need to exercise their critical thinking when reacting to any situation. First and foremost, their goal should be to SPARE lives, not end them. Especially in dangerous situations, and as Hill himself points out, just because you're carrying a gun, doesn't mean you need to murder someone. I believe that law enforcement professionals who have committed these crimes (i.e. injuring and/or murdering POC) need to be reprimanded. Brutality is brutality and should be met with jail time and a loss of credentials, whether or not the act was "committed in self defense."

Now, obviously I'm not an expert on anything like this, but it just seems like common sense at this point. Who knows, I could be totally wrong about all of this (and I welcome feedback because I want to learn how to be helpful rather than harmful). That doesn't mean I hang my hat up and stop fighting.

I'm right there with Hill, exuding optimism and hoping for better.

Comments

  1. Elaina, you make some really great points here! I mostly agree with you about everything, it's just a little difficult for me to be as optimistic as Hill (and you) about a situation that seems like it's never going to end. Law enforcement, especially cops, definitely get a bad rap just because of what they do, but I do agree with you in saying that things can change and law enforcement needs to learn how to react to situations better. Not every situation needs a police officer to whip out his or her gun and start firing. Police officers are meant to protect the community, not harm it. I do hope to see a change in the future between black people and law enforcement, but I don't think it will happen over night. I do have some hope though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Op-Ed: Your OCD is Showing

A little somethin' somethin'