That the public sphere is both prevalent today and incredibly value goes without saying. I think, though, that it is tough to say whether or not the existence of the public sphere is toxic or beneficial. Depending on what spheres one subscribes too, it can be either. There are so many diverse public spheres, from communities of color to feminist circles. Certain public spheres can be incredibly rewarding, especially if the discourse within is bringing people together or bringing about social change. I wouldn't say that online platforms are functioning as public spheres, but rather as additional "venues" for public spheres to congregate, in a sense, and engage in discourse specific to the sphere's objectives/topics of conversation. Since people from all over the world can subscribe to certain public spheres, blogs and social media make it easier for discourse to take place. However, because communication is screen-to-screen rather than face to face, discourse coul...
Sounds really interesting! I look forward to seeing it if you post it here!
ReplyDelete